First News July 26, through August 2, 2014
Congregational Gathering, July 27, 10:15
The Session of our church will hold a Congregational Gathering on July 27, 10:15 am. A light brunch will be offered by the Deacons. Folks are encouraged to bring a breakfast/brunch item to share, such as fruit, pastries. Deacons will provide breakfast/brunch casseroles.
The purpose of this gathering is to share information regarding the work of the four Ministry Pillars of the church; Worship, Discipleship, Mission and Congregational Life. The Congregational Life Finance Team will offer a close look of the stewardship and financial life of our church. The Nomination Team of the Congregation will also share information. Information and questions regarding our relationship with First Light will be addressed.
The Session recognizes it is difficult to tackle all of the above in one gathering. We will therefore schedule our time on this particular day as follows:
- Sharing the joy of Heartland Camp (around 5 or so minutes)
- Congregational Life—a snapshot of our finances and stewardship (around 30 or so minutes)
- Nominations Team of the Congregation (around 5 minutes)
- Sharing our church with First Light in the month of August (around 10 minutes or so)
- Wrap up
Please note the times above are just guidelines. The Session and Deacons desire to improve communications within our church. As such, we will certainly seek to find different ways to share information and help keep folks informed on the goings on at the church.
To improve communications, we need your help. Here are a few things we hope you will help us with and a few things we hope to do.
- Please take time to read information shared.
- Make it a habit to check out our church web site; www.fpcgardner.org We plan on utilizing our web site to pass on information. It truly is a wonderful tool for communications. We want to take steps to make sure all calendar items are up to date, that the minutes of our Session and Deacons meetings are posted, that minutes from ministry pillars and teams are posted, and any other information that we have is shared.
- We hope to seek ways to use the web and our website as a teaching tool. There are some real great web sites we hope to put as links from our own so you can learn a bit more about what God’s up to in the world.
- We can only communicate with you information we receive. Please; “feed the communication beast!” The office needs you to email, call, drop by, and do whatever it takes to share information. We do reserve the right to edit a bit what we receive. This is not to change information, but to help us pass it on in the most effective way.
- If you have questions, call someone to get the right answers. Do not rely on rumors or tall tales. They may be more interesting, but certainly not more helpful.
- If you would like to help improve communications, share your ideas with us.
Welcome First Light Methodist Church
On August 3 we will welcome our sisters and brothers from First Light Methodist Church. Our Session approved an agreement to share our facilities with First Light. This is for a trial period from August 1 to September 1. An oversight board established between the two churches will review this agreement in mid-August and make any necessary changes. If we continue sharing, this agreement will be reviews and if both parties are willing, will be continued.
This is a wonderful expression of Christian unity. Throughout Scriptures we are called to welcome strangers, show hospitality, share what we have, and above all show our unity in the body of Christ. Jesus prays for us “so that they may be one, as we are one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.” (John 17:23)
By welcoming and sharing Jesus’ church (after all it is not “our” church but his church, his body, broken, shared with the world) we are bearing witness to God’s love to our community and world. It is our desire to help and support our fellow Christians and in the future celebrate with them their faith journey.
Take time on August 3 to welcome our friends. Their pastor, the Reverend Brad Wheeler, will be at our 9 am Worship Service, to express their thanks and worship with us. In turn, the Reverend Koch will do the same at their 11 am Worship Service.
Back Pack Sunday, August 10
All the children need to bring their back packs to the Worship Service on Sunday, August 10 at the 9:00 am service. We will have a blessing for the Students, Teachers and Administration and they will receive a small gift.